On the remains of an early Romanesque Marian chapel (10th/11th century), a pilgrimage church was probably built on the Bleidenberg near Oberfell in 1248 after the successful siege of Thurant Castle near Alken under Trier Archbishop Arnold II. The church was first mentioned in 1253 in a letter of indulgence. As a pilgrimage church it shows a long tradition and has experienced decay and reconstruction in its long history. The church shows both Romanesque and Gothic style elements. The former Marian pilgrimage site is now a place of pilgrimage in honor of the Holy Trinity. Processions from the parish church in Oberfell take place annually on the 1st Sunday after Pentecost, the feast of the Holy Trinity. Information can be obtained from a thematic board on site, brochures in the church and on guided walks www.weinwandern-durch-die-zeit.de. The church is open all year round through the entrance on the north side. A 650-meter-long Way of the Cross, which climbs 140 meters in altitude, leads to the pilgrimage church at Marienberg in Oberfell. The first two wayside shrines, whose reliefs are heavily weathered, probably date from older periods, ca.17th century. In 1984, the present Stations of the Cross with 14 stations on basalt stelae were erected. The two old wayside shrines were preserved in their original condition. The church is open daily and can be reached on foot or by car.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)