The religious cultural heritage of the Moselle also comprises burial crosses and wayside crosses of profound artistic quality.
At the former end of Bernkastel's old town lies "Am Kapuzinerkreuz" or "an der Kapuzinnertreppe", so the citizens of Bernkastel call this square "Am Kapuzinerkreuz" or "an der Kapuzinnertreppe". In earlier times it was also known as "Bettelmanns Umkehr", because of the gate that closed the town in the direction of Hunsrück. For centuries there has been a cross with two crucified people.
The original baroque double cross dates back to 1750 and was destroyed in World War II. The present double cross was inaugurated in 1953. It is a creation of the sculptor August Julius Lebensted from Kröv.
"This cross, which is surrounded by two women, one of whom is the highest female perfection and the other of whom teaches that there is also a way out of the depth of human weakness, looks to the city interior and the city exit. (Mayor Dr. Anton Ley in his inauguration speech on 14.06.1953)