Guided tour of Alken - Alken is one of the oldest villages on the Moselle. Its origins date back to the Celtic and Roman times. Even today, one part of the village is called by the Celtic name "Olk".
The Faller Gate - the main gate of the former city fortification 1256 is the former main gate of the city fortification. Originally it had a portcullis and a drawbridge. In the 19th century the framework had to be pulled down. The upper plateau had a canopy roof. From the gate passage, it was possible to climb the ramparts. These entrances are walled up today, but still recognizable. After the completion of the ring fortification, connected with the castle Thurant, Alken was named town in a collective privilege by Archbishop and Elector Balduin of Trier. On August 23, 1332, King Ludwig the Bavarian granted Alken the same rights and freedoms of the city of Frankfurt a.M. - Emperor Charles IV confirmed these rights and freedoms in 1346. A tour of Alken is always worthwhile. Especially recommendable is the visit of the "Burg Thurant" and the "Alte St. Michaelskirche".
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)