The Moselle village Alken is one of the oldest Moselle villages. Its origins date back to the Celtic and Roman times. Even today, one part of the village is called by the Celtic name "Olk". Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Numerous findings also confirm the presence of the Romans at that time. From the original name "Villa Alcana" (a Roman settlement) finally arose our present-day Alken. On a hill covered with deciduous forest in the Alken brook valley are the remains of foundation walls of a so-called Celtic castle. The castle Thurant is partly built on old foundations, which date back to the Roman times. But also from later times, there are structural hints to be found in the village again and again. Once a Palatine possession (belonging to the Count Palatine in Heidelberg) in the middle of the Trier region, disputes and claims of ownership by the archbishops and electors of Trier and Cologne remained unavoidable. The Moselburg was besieged by the troops of the Electors of Cologne and Trier in 1246-1248. From the opposite Bleidenberg it was pelted with projectiles and finally had to capitulate. The archbishops divided the castle among themselves and built two hill forts and a dividing wall. Remains of the old ring wall and the "thick tower" testify to the fortification in the Middle Ages, when Alken had town rights. The castle of Wiltberg tells of later epochs of feudalism and the many wine yards in half-timbered style of vintner's diligence and civic efficiency in old Alken. A tour through Alken is always worthwhile. Especially recommendable is the visit of the "Burg Thurant" and the "Alte St. Michaelskirche". Gastronomy invites to the Moselle promenade as well as in the village center to the Einekhr. Sights in Alken: -Castle Thurant (castle to be visited) -old St. Michael's Church with ossuary: one of the oldest churches on the Moselle, first documented in 1015; choir frescoes around 1350, frescoes in the nave around 1500, Gothic Madonna on Throne (14th century), Baroque sculptures. Stairway to this church is designed as a Way of the Cross -new parish church of St. Michael (1849): neo-Gothic hall church in slate quarry stone with St. Michael's altar (baroque, 1708) and St. Mary's altar (replica in baroque style, 1988) -Castle house of the Trier archbishops (around 1350), extended to a castle under the lords of Wiltberg, rebuilt in the 17th century, privately owned since 1845. Wiltberg wine cellar with cellar vaults around 1700 -in Von-Wiltbergstraße and Oberstraße several historic half-timbered houses -parts of the town fortifications (around 1400): Fallerport (connection to the battlements once via two - preserved - half-timbered floors); customs tower on the banks of the Moselle (today a restaurant); relics of another tower at Wiltberg Castle; keeper's house at the entrance to town (today a gallery) -Laacher Hof (Moselstraße 8), built as an estate of Laach Abbey around 1093, later administrative seat, tithe farm, today winery; structurally heavily modified -Malteserhaus, former hospital with gateway, stone spiral staircase in the courtyard (today privately owned); in the gateway stone with the year 1093.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
On the map
Phone: (0049) 2605 790
Fax: (0049) 2605 953261