Like St. Maximin`s, the former Collegiate Church of St. Paulin in the northern part of the city was erected in a Roman cemetery. The most remarkable features of the church are the ceiling paintings and the sculptures in the interior - instead of individual spatial impressions, a single unified whole awaits the visitor.
At the end of the 4th century, Bishop Felix had a church erected, 400 ft/120m long. Around AD 400, the remains of Paulinus, considered a martyr and saint, were brought to Trier. Paulinus had originally been a Bishop of Trier and had lived in exile in Phrygia (Asia Minor), where he died in AD 358. After a fire in 1093, a new structure was consecrated in 1148 by Pope Eugene III; it was then blown up in 1674.
The Archbishop-Elector himself paid for a new church construction. The interior furnishings and decoration clearly bear the stamp of Balthasar Newmann. His concept allows for the deft blending of different spaces into a unified whole.
Impressive for the observer are the numerous details, such as the high altar, the pulpit from the Cistercian monastery of Himmerod, the stucco work, the ceiling paintings and the other paintings. The ceiling painting above the organ depicts the slaughter of the martyrs to the faith, to whom the glory of heaven is opened in the central painting. The ceiling paintings in the choir are dedicated to Paulinus.
The sarcophagus altar, other relics, and the burial monument to Paulinus in the crypt are the richly decorated work of Ferdinand Tietz.
St. Paulin-Kirche, Thebäerstraße, 54292 Trier, tel. +49 651 270850
official website of the bishop: www.bistum-trier.de
On the map
Phone: (0049) 651 978080
Fax: (0049) 651 9780876
Tuesdays: 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Sundays: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.