- start: 56727 Mayen-Kürrenberg car park Am Leichenweg (B 258)
- destination: 56727 Mayen-Kürrenberg car park Am Leichenweg (B 258)
- 14,71 km
- 5 hours 30 minutes
- 509 m
- 525 m
- 269 m
- 80 / 100
- 80 / 100
15 km of fantastic forest paths with breathtaking panoramic views distinguish this hiking trail with Premium Quality. Hiking in the Eifel is fun on this good day excursion! Half way along the trail Burresheim Castle invites the hiker to a visit and allows a unique glimpse into the life of the aristocracy between the 15th and 20th centuries.
Highlights at Traumpfad
- Eiterbach Valley with pond
- Luisenplatz refuge hut with an overwhelming panoramic view
- Mighty basalt columns
- The historical path marker “Fünfkantstein” (five sided stone)
- Nette valley
- Bürresheim Castle
- Nitz valley
- Scheidkopf summit with panorama of the Eifel
The day trip along the Traumpfad Förstersteig starts in Mayen-Kürrenberg. From here a forest path leads gently downhill in shady high forest through the Ruppen valley, then through the Eiterbach valley with its lively rippling brook. At the Eiterbach Pond a refuge hut and benches invite the hiker to a short stay. The path continues moderately downhill to the Luisenplatz hut with a fine panorama view over Mayen, the Maifeld and toward the Rhine.
Continuing, the trail leads to the refuge hut “Altener Tempelchen”, with a view of the mighty basalt columns of the quarry on the opposite side. The path goes steadily uphill to the “Fünfkantstein“ (five sided stone) (a historic path marker, with refuge hut). Below there are great views of the Bürresheim Castle and the Nette valley. Arriving directly at the Nette, after a short stretch along the L83, the trail continues to the historic Hamme Mill and further along the banks of the Nette and the Nitz valley.
After the climb along the spine of a rocky ridge the path continues through an oak coppice to the Schälkopf peak with a lovely view of the Nitz valley. A serpentine footpath winds uphill to Kürrenberg. The trail continues along the edge of the forest past horse paddocks and meadows to the summit of the Scheidkopf – the start of the closing panorama festival of the one-day tour with many distant views over the Eifel landscape!
In some passages surefootedness is required.
Safety guidance – stay safe whilst hiking on the Traumpfade/Traumpfädchen
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
Sturdy shoes are recommended for the tour!
You can find trail closures at: https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/
Schloss Bürresheim wartet auf Ihren Besuch.
A 48 Exit Mayen/Mendig - B 258 towards Nürburgring - right after General-Delius barracks towards Kürrenberg - after approx. 700 meter right on car park at B 258 (sign: Kletterwald Vulkanpark) -56727 Mayen, Am Leichenweg at Mayen-Kürrenberg
56727 Mayen, Am Leichenweg at Mayen-Kürrenberg
56727 Mayen, Reinigenweg at Mayen-Kürrenberg
56727 Mayen, Schützenplatz (At L 83 Bürresheimer Straße)
Destination stop: Kürrenberg, community centre
Line 380 Kaisersesch - Düngenheim - Kehrig - Mayen - Kürrenberg
Destination stop: Kürrenberg, Hauptstraße
Line 388 FreizeitBus: Mayen - Langenfeld - Arft - Herresbach - Kürrenberg - Mayen (01.04. to 01.11.)
Destination stop: Bürresheim Castle
Line 399 FreizeitBus Vulkanregion Laacher See: Mayen - Rieden - Maria Laach - Nickenich - Andernach - Namedy (01.04. to 01.11.)
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 2: Die 19 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen in der Vordereifel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-934342-61-3
- 27 Premium-Rundwege Traumpfade, Jubiläumsausgabe 10 Jahre Traumpfade, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-43-2
- Osteifel mit Laacher-See-Gebiet Wanderkarte 1:25.000 ISBN: 978-3-921805-63-3
Tourist-Information der Stadt Mayen, Tel.: +49 (0)2651/903004, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.mayen.de/kultur-tourismus/
Projektbüro Traumpfade, Tel.: +49 (0)261/108419, email@example.com, www.traumpfade.info
Traumpfade-App für iOS: App bei iTunes download
Traumpfade-App für Android: App bei Google play download
This tour is presented by: Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land, Author: Nicole Pfeifer