Traumpfad Monrealer Ritterschlag
- start: 56729 Monreal Old manse (Obere Schlossbrücke) / 56729 Monreal Station (Bahnhofstraße)
- destination: 56729 Monreal Old manse (Obere Schlossbrücke) / 56729 Monreal Station (Bahnhofstraße)
- 13,67 km
- 5 hours
- 508 m
- 459 m
- 272 m
- 100 / 100
- 80 / 100
Along the tracks of knights: the Löwenburg and Philippsburg castles tower majestically above the medieval half-timbered village of Monreal. Steep and meandering forest paths, adventurous ravines and spectacular distant views make the trail a unique experience.
Highlights at Traumpfad
- Idyllic half-timbered village of Monreal with quaint streets
- Views of the valleys of the Elz and Thürelz
- Paths through forest ravines and over a mountain ridge
- Eifel panorama
- Farm shop at Schnürenhof Ruins of the Philippsburg and Löwenburg Castles
- Connecting path to the Traumpfad Hochbermeler
An access road leads from the station in Monreal to the starting point at the old vicarage. It continues through historic village centre over the Lower Castle Bridge. Following the banks of the Elz, the path goes through a quiet residential area out into nature. The gently climbing path conquers the escarpment above the Elz and reveals a breathtaking view of the castles. Along the way the farm shop of the Schnürenhof offers fresh products from their own farming for sale (Uschis Hofladen – Shop hours: Friday 10 to 18 clock, Saturday 9 to 12 clock).
The trail continues along soft footpaths through the idyllic Elz valley, through a deeply carved narrow pass uphill and further through open meadowland with a great panorama. After a curve and a short ascent to Juckelsberg mountain there is a seat to rest.
The trail crosses over the L 98 and leads along a short distance over a field into the forest, before the view of the Hochbermel and of the sleepy Thürelz valley comes into sight. The serpentine descent that follows goes down across a steep barren slope with gnarled oaks growing on it into open gorse bush countryside. In the valley the trail crosses the railway tracks (subway) and the brook, passes the junction to the “Traumpfad Hochbermeler“ and climbs up along narrow paths to a ridge. The trail follows briefly along the ridge between Elz and Thürelz and then starts to descend down to Augstmühle.
After the confluence of both streams, the trail goes across the Elz and reaches the sportsfield of Monreal. Here the 100 m high steep ascent to the Monreal castles. After going through meadowland, the path reaches a rocky promontory in the forest where there is a spectacular view of Monreal and the castles. A few metres later the path forks, one path going down to Philippsburg castle. A last climb goes to the walls of the Löwenberg Castle. Finally a narrow path leads down to Monreal.
In some passages surefootedness and a head for heights are required. Hiking poles are recommended. The trail should not be hiked in icy conditions.
Safety guidance – stay safe whilst hiking on the Traumpfade/Traumpfädchen
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
Sturdy shoes are recommended for the tour!
You can find trail closures at: https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/
Der Traumpfad ist über eine Zuwegung mit dem Traumpfad Hochbermeler verbunden.
A 48 Exit Mayen - B 262 towards Mayen - right B 258 towards Nürburgring - right on to L 98 to Monreal - at the end of Monreal right on to L 96 towards Uersfeld/Kelberg - right ca park station (access to the start)
56729 Monreal, car park at station (Bahnhofstraße)
56729 Monreal, An der Phillippsburg
Destination stop: Monreal railway station
RB 38 Kaisersesch-Mayen-Andernach - Pellenz-Eifel line (Lahn-Eifel-Bahn)
Destination stop: Monreal, Bahnhofstraße
Line 370 Ulmen - Uersfeld - Bermel/Kaisersesch - Monreal - Mayen
Line 377 FreizeitBus: Mayen - Kürrenberg - Nachtsheim - Boos - Bermel - Monreal - Mayen (01.04. to 01.11.)
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 2: Die 19 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen in der Vordereifel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-934342-61-3
- 27 Premium-Rundwege Traumpfade, Jubiläumsausgabe 10 Jahre Traumpfade, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-43-2
Touristik-Büro Vordereifel, Tel.: +49 (0)2651/800995, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.naturerlebnis-vordereifel.de
Projektbüro Traumpfade, Tel.: +49 (0)261/108419, email@example.com, www.traumpfade.info
Traumpfade-App für iOS: App bei iTunes herunterladen
Traumpfade-App für Android: App bei Google play herunterladen
This tour is presented by: Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land, Author: Nicole Pfeifer