- start: 56729 Virneburg parish hall (In der Au 6)
- destination: 56729 Virneburg parish hall (In der Au 6)
- 10,02 km
- 3 hours
- 313 m
- 534 m
- 377 m
- 100 / 100
- 40 / 100
A fabulous mix of forest and open heath landscapes – that is the correct characterisation of this Traumpfad. Explore the ruins of Virne Castle and an overwhelming panoramic view of the Eifel from the Schafberg mountain. The landscape highlight is Blumenrath Heath.
Highlights at Traumpfad
- Nitzbach valley
- Ruins of Virne Castle (Middle of the 13th century)
- Vast juniper heaths (Blumenrath and Schafberg)
- Mountain path
- Eifel panorama
- View of Nürburg Castle
The Traumpfad starts at Virneburg’s community centre and goes over the Nitzbach brook up to a small chapel. The narrow field path winds its way up to the mighty ruins of Virne Castle. The descent goes down into the village and to the edge of the forest. Above the Nitzbach it continues through the forest. The trail climbs constantly uphill through a side valley into the high forest and then to the juniper heaths on the Schafberg mountain with a phenomenal panorama of the Eifel.
After passing through more fields and forests and crossing the B 258 the trail comes to Blumenrath Heath. The open heathland contrasts with the surrounding mixed woodlands and has wonderful views as far as Nürburg with its castle.
The trail goes past the Brauberg hill and up to the refuge hut above Virne Castle where there is a great view. A mountain footpath traverses the slope to descend into the Nitzbach valley. Tired feet can be cooled when crossing the brook, before the path climbs upwards to go through lush meadows on slopes. A seat at the edge of the forest with a fantastic view of Virne Castle invites the hiker for the last rest before this circular trail returns to its starting point.
In some passages surefootedness and a head for heights are required.
Safety guidance – stay safe whilst hiking on the Traumpfade/Traumpfädchen
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
A 48 Exit Mayen/Mendig - B 258 towards Nürburgring - to Virneburg parish hall (In der Au 6)
56729 Virneburg, parish hall (in der Au 6)
56729 Virneburg, Blumenrather Heide (at B258 just before Virneburg)
Destination stop: Virneburg, bridge
Line 380 direction Kaisersesch to Kürrenberg, Bürgerhaus - from Kürrenberg Bürgerhaus Line 381 direction Welchenbach
Line 388 FreizeitBus: Mayen - Langenfeld - Arft - Herresbach - Kürrenberg - Mayen (01.04. to 01.11.)
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 2: Die 19 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen in der Vordereifel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-934342-61-3
- 27 Premium-Rundwege Traumpfade, Jubiläumsausgabe 10 Jahre Traumpfade, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-43-2
- Osteifel mit Laacher-See-Gebiet Wanderkarte 1:25.000 ISBN: 978-3-921805-63-3
Traumpfade-App für iOS: App bei iTunes download
Traumpfade-App für Android: App bei Google play download
- Unknown (2%)
- Asphalt Coating (8%)
- Path (17%)
- Hiking Trail (73%)
This tour is presented by: Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land, Author: Nicole Pfeifer