- start: 56729 Ettringen Hochsimmerhalle (Kottenheimer Straße 31)
- destination: 56729 Ettringen Hochsimmerhalle (Kottenheimer Straße 31)
- 6,73 km
- 2 hours
- 234 m
- 416 m
- 268 m
- 80 / 100
- 40 / 100
Fantastic views of the volcanoes of the East Eifel, unique glimpses of the origins of the fire-spewing mountains – an enjoyable trip back to the times of the quarrying industry – that makes hiking along the Volcano Trail an experience and the hiking trail to a “dream”.
Highlights at Traumpfad
- Ettringer Bellberg mountain with fabulous view of the volcanic landscape
- Mining landscape Kottenheimer Winfeld
- Crater caves "Sieben Stuben" (Seven Rooms)
The first part of the trail is easy and leads from the Hochsimm Hall in Ettringen through the town. A narrow field path goes through meadows up to the peak of the Ettringen Bell Mountain. A fantastic view of the volcanoes of the East Eifel reward the effort. The trail continues along the west side of the crater rim and down to the breakthrough on the south of the crater (here it is rewarding to make a detour to the quarries of Ettringer Lay). Going along the southern lava stream the path then reaches the forest of Kottenheim Büden.
At the foot of the impressive slag wall are the "Sieben Stuben" (Seven Rooms), small caves in which people sought protection during the second world war. The trail continues up again to the south east side of the crater rim. Here there is a fantastic view of the Bellberg quarry and the volcanoes Hochsimmer, Bellberg, Sulzbusch and Hochstein. The following section goes steeply downhill over surfaced and natural paths into Kottenheimer Winfeld, an idyllic mining landscape with many witnesses from the time of basalt mining. Further on in the direction of Ettringen the trail goes past the rock monument "Junker Schilling", and then crosses a brook and meets the Hartborn mineral water fountain.Then the hiker can relax on the way back from this circular trail to the starting point.
In some passages surefootedness is required.
Safety guidance – stay safe whilst hiking on the Traumpfade/Traumpfädchen
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
Sturdy shoes are recommended for the tour!
You can find trail closures at: https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfade/wege-status/
***Der Traumpfad Vulkanpfad hatte im Breich Büden einen Felssturz. Daher wurde eine großräumige Umleitung gelegt. Der Weg verlängert sich dadurch auf 9,2 km. Dauer: 2:40 Stunden. Die Karte finden Sie unter: https://www.traumpfade.info/pfad/traumpfad/vulkanpfad/
A 61 Exit Mendig - tributary to A 61 Exit Kottenheim - in roundabout straight forward - next dirveway right to Kottenheim - follow street to Ettringen - 56729 Ettringen, Hochsimmerhalle (Kottenheimer Straße 31)
56729 Ettringen, Hochsimmerhalle (Kottenheimer Straße 31)
56729 Ettringen, Ettringer Lay
56727 Mayen, Parking on Erlebniszentrum Terra Vulcania (An den Mühlensteinen 7) (Depending Accessibility 2.3 km)
56729 Kottenheim, Parking at the church (Schulstraße) on school days from 14 clock (Depending Accessibility 1.5 km)
Destination stop: Ettringen, Mayener Straße
Line: 390 RegioBus: Mayen-St. Johann-Bell-Niedermendig
Destination stop: Kottenheim, train station
RB 38 „Pellenz-Eifel-Bahn“ - Kaisersesch-Mayen-Andernach
RB 23 "Lahn-Eifel-Bahn" - Kaisersesch-Mayen-Andernach
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 2: Die 19 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen in der Vordereifel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-934342-61-3
- 27 Premium-Rundwege Traumpfade, Jubiläumsausgabe 10 Jahre Traumpfade, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-43-2
- Osteifel mit Laacher-See-Gebiet Wanderkarte 1:25.000 ISBN: 978-3-921805-63-3
Touristik-Büro Vordereifel, Tel.: +49 (0)2651/800995, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.naturerlebnis-vordereifel.de
Projektbüro Traumpfade, Tel.: +49 (0)261/108419, email@example.com, www.traumpfade.info
Traumpfade-App iOS: App iTunes download
Traumpfade-App Android: App Google play download
This tour is presented by: Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land, Author: Nicole Pfeifer