Traumpfädchen Spayer BlickinsTal
- start: 56322 Spay, parking lot near green waste collection point
- destination: 56322 Spay, parking lot near green waste collection point
- 6,12 km
- 2 hours
- 216 m
- 218 m
- 78 m
- 80 / 100
- 40 / 100
The Traumpfädchen Spayer BlickinsTal offers a mixture of challenging climbs up to the Rhine Plateau, valley descents with great vistas and more relaxed sections leading across open countryside. Hikers are rewarded by wonderful natural trails and by superb views of Marksburg Castle and of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, which is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Highlights of the Traumpfädchen
- Panoramic views of the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Distant views of Marksburg Castle
- Rhine Plateau
- Long-range vistas from the Theoretikerhütte
- Mother of God trail and Chapel of the Holy Virgin
The gateway to the Traumpfädchen Spayer BlickinsTal is located at the hikers’ car park in Spay. Because of the particular lie of the land, we recommend wearing sturdy hiking boots and completing the route in an anti-clockwise direction. The start of the route is only 100 metres away, and we begin by turning right up a woodland pathway.
The trail ascends constantly, crosses the entrance to the barbecue hut and leads past a water pumping station. After a considerable climb, the small Sebastianus Chapel marks the first turning point in the tour. We now proceed down towards the valley on a winding trail, experiencing a whiff of the atmosphere of a primeval forest as we go. We quickly emerge from the trees, and the next section along a comfortable valley trail gives us a chance to recover from our initial exertions. Benches by the side of the path provide an opportunity to take a break whilst taking in fantastic views of the impressive Marksburg Castle.
Our Traumpfädchen soon veers off to the left. The next challenge now awaits – an ascent up onto the Rhine Plateau. Step by step, we complete various stations of the cross, firstly by passing across open meadows and then by proceeding through sparse woodland. At this point, we are joined by the Traumpfad Rheingoldbogen. Together, we walk on to the Chapel of the Holy Virgin 1.6 kilometres away. From here, a brief climb leads up to the Theoretikerhütte on the edge of the forest. The beautiful views down into the valley make this an ideal spot to take a breather.
We then continue along easily negotiable field tracks through open countryside. There is virtually no change in altitude, and the outlook is once again magnificent. After a few twists and turns, we arrive at the edge of a slope. This is where our Traumpfädchen and the Traumpfad part ways. The Traumpfädchen uses a lovely natural trail which even bears some of the characteristics of a sunken pathway. We gain a first glimpse of the Rhine, before the route descends sharply. After 4.1 kilometres, the hedges open up to afford us a superb sight of the river. It is a good thing that someone thought to put a bench here! The climb back up onto the plateau again places demands on our fitness, but the surrounding hedges, meadows and woods make for a diverting route and we quickly reach the top. The Spay barbecue area offers a further chance to look down at the valley below before we turn sharply to the right onto a fabulous pathway which will form our final descent. We head through mixed deciduous forest containing many species of tree. There are some steep sections which require surefootedness, especially if it is wet. However, we soon find ourselves on the tarmac valley road near the B9. The starting point of the tour is now not far away. All we need to do is turn down to the right to arrive back at the car park.
Safety guidance – stay safe whilst hiking on the Traumpfade/Traumpfädchen
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfaedchen/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
Surefootedness and a head for heights are required in some sections.
You should not embark upon the tours in icy conditions.
Robust footwear is recommended!
Details of route closures can be found at: https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfaedchen/wege-status/
The Traumpfädchen are not suitable for prams or rollator users.
+++ Aufgrund eines MTB Tuniers ist das Traumpfädchen SpayerBlickinsTal am 11.06. 2023 konplett gesperrt. (Stand: 09.03.2023)+++
HUNDE ANLEINEN! Das Traumpfädchen verläuft durch ein Vogel- und Naturschutzgebiet. Deshalb besteht Anleinpflicht für Hunde. Diese dient dem Schutz rastender und brütender Vögel und wild lebenderTiere. Bitte vermeiden Sie die Verunreinigung des Wanderwegs und landwirtschaftlicher Flächen durch Hundekot.
Start: 56322 Spay, parking lot next to green waste collection point
Directions: B9 to Spay - in Spay on the K 78 (Rheingoldstraße) direction Siebenborn - approx. 200 m after the overpass of the B 9 turn left into the service road (follow the signs to the green waste collection point) -then after approx. 400 m on the left side.
Start: 56322 Spay, parking lot next to green waste collection point
Access route: 56322 Spay, Zehnthofstraße (parking lots at the cemetery)
Access route: 56322 Spay, corner Mainzer Straße/Im Lehnacker (parking spaces along Mainzer Straße)
Destination stop: Spay, train station (access signposted 600 m)
Regional train from Koblenz to Spay
Destination stop: Spay, In der Flogt
Line 670 RegioBus: Koblenz-Rhens-Spay-Boppard
- Ein Schöner Tag "traumpfädchen", Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-49-4
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 1: Die 18 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen an Rhein und Mosel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-942779-64-7
Tourist-Information Erlebnis Rheinbogen, Tel.: +49 (0)2607/49510, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.erlebnis-rheinbogen.de
Projektbüro Traumpfade, Tel.: +49 (0)261/108419, email@example.com, www.traumpfade.info
Traumpfade App for iOS: Download the app from iTunes
Traumpfade App for Android: Download the app from Google Play
- Asphalt Coating (10%)
- Hiking Trail (47%)
- Crushed Rock (42%)
This tour is presented by: Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land, Author: Nicole Pfeifer