The landmarks of the wine-growing village Filzen, which belongs to Brauneberg today, are the old tower and the former Franciscan convent.
The tower of 12.50m height and 3.50m inner width has an interestingly patterned masonry of quarry stones with even horizontal layers and in-between rows of transverse stones, as well as smoothly cut cornerstones. The tower roof has the form of a narrow four-sided pyramid. Formerly, the tower was connected to the Andreas Chapel. From the wall fragments and the tower´s shape, it can be inferred that it was constructed in the 11th century. It is thus one of the oldest buildings in Bernkastel-Wittlich. The monastery building from 1732 and the attendant late baroque church with one of the most beautiful high altars of the Moselle region are particularly well-preserved. In 1810, during the Napoleonic occupation, the nunnery was secularized, which meant dissolution. Yet, the names of some meadows and vineyard sites such as “Klostergarten” (monastery garden), “Nonnenberg” (nuns´ hill) and “Nonneneck” (nuns´ corner) as well as many buildings in the district of Filzen still remind of the monasterial time.